Re: PostgreSQL 8.2beta1 w/ VALUES - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.2beta1 w/ VALUES
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Luke, et al,

* Luke Lonergan (LLonergan@greenplum.com) wrote:
> > Except that one warning would not be accurate, because the
> > warning is per tuple. How is postgresql going to know that
> > the warning applies to the same set of data but just a
> > different tuple?

I didn't say it'd be easy. :)

> If it's going to roll back the entire load after that one warning, it
> should terminate there.

It didn't terminate it, though I agree that it would have been nice if I
could control if it would terminate on first warning or not.

> This is a common problem with OLAP and based on the observation here,
> this needs to be fixed.  Not being able to cancel out at this point is
> even worse, can you imagine the frustration of trying to load 10GB of
> data and having to wait until the end after seeing these warnings, while
> knowing that you're just going to have to try again anyway?

Yes, rather frustrating even with only 20k rows.

> Eventually we'll implement single row error handling, but even then
> there should be a selectable behavior to terminate the load on the first
> warning/error.

It'd be nice to be able to do what (I believe..) Oracle and Access can
do- dump the warnings/error messages/rows into a seperate table and go
over them afterwards..  Probably wouldn't have helped me in this case
but I've been in other situations where it would have been nice. :)
Thanks,
    Stephen