PostgreSQL 8.2beta1 w/ VALUES - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject PostgreSQL 8.2beta1 w/ VALUES
Date
Re: PostgreSQL 8.2beta1 w/ VALUES  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,
 Was just playing with 8.2beta1 and importing some data from MySQL and found something rather annoying.  Not *100%*
surethe best way to deal with this, if there even is a way, but...

 When loading a rather large data set I started getting errors along these lines:

psql:/home/sfrost/school/cs750/reality/dump-anonymized.postgres.sql:262:
WARNING:  nonstandard use of escape in a string literal
LINE 1: ...XXXXXXXXXX 9999,9:9:999'),(99999,'000000000000',0,'XXXXX XXX...
             ^

HINT:  Use the escape string syntax for escapes, e.g., E'\r\n'.
psql:/home/sfrost/school/cs750/reality/dump-anonymized.postgres.sql:262:
WARNING:  nonstandard use of escape in a string literal
LINE 1: ...9999999999',0,',9:9:999'),(99999,'000000000000',0,'XXXX XXXX...
             ^

HINT:  Use the escape string syntax for escapes, e.g., E'\r\n'.
INSERT 0 20795
cs750=#
 Which, by themselves, aren't really an issue *except* for the fact that I got an *insane* number of them.  I don't
thinkit was quite one for every row (of which there were 20,795, you'll note) but it was more than enough to drive me
insane. Additionally, cancel requests were ignored.  It's possible this was because of network lag and the server had
alreadyprocessed the request but I'm not sure that was the only reason.  I know I held down ctrl-c for quite a while
duringthe spew of messages...

 Anyhow, don't know if there's really a good solution but it'd be nice to only get one warning, or one of a given type,
orsomething, and to respond to cancel requests (if there was an issue there).  Sorry this is more from a user's
perspective,I havn't got time atm to go digging through the code.  I'd be curious about implementing a possible
error-aggregationsystem for reporting on large sets like this but that might be overkill anyway.

     Thanks,
    Stephen