Re: Fwd: Is the fsync() fake on FreeBSD6.1? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mark@mark.mielke.cc
Subject Re: Fwd: Is the fsync() fake on FreeBSD6.1?
Date
Re: Fwd: Is the fsync() fake on FreeBSD6.1?  (AgentM <agentm@themactionfaction.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 01:52:02PM -0400, Jim Nasby wrote:
> I thought folks might be interested in this... note in particular the
> comment about linux.
> >From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
> >Date: June 26, 2006 11:34:12 PM EDT
> >To: leo huang <leo.huang.list@gmail.com>
> >Cc: freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
> >Subject: Re: Is the fsync() fake on FreeBSD6.1?
> >My understanding from the last time I looked at the code was that
> >fsync does the right thing:
> >
> >     The fsync() system call causes all modified data and
> >attributes of fd to
> >     be moved to a permanent storage device.  This normally results
> >in all in-
> >     core modified copies of buffers for the associated file to be
> >written to
> >     a disk.
> >
> >This is not the case for Linux, where fsync syncs the entire file
> >system.  That could explain some of the performance difference, but
> >not all of it.  I suppose it's worth noting that, in general, people
> >report much better performance with MySQL on Linux than on FreeBSD.

I see Greg's comment as contradictory. People see better performance with
MySQL on Linux than on FreeBSD, fsync() on Linux syncs the whole file
system?

I don't believe that fsync() on Linux syncs the whole file system
either.  This sounds made up, or a confusion with 'sync'. Perhaps
people @FreeBSD.org are not as familiar with Linux.

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________
 One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all                      and in the darkness
bindthem...

                          http://mark.mielke.cc/