Re: This approach to non-ASCII names does not work - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: This approach to non-ASCII names does not work
Date
Re: This approach to non-ASCII names does not work
List pgsql-docs
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > I'm betting you should change those numbers from octal to decimal,
> > actually.
>
> I suggest using named entities like ü.

Yes, I use them where possible.  I use:

    http://www.mountaindragon.com/html/iso.htm

for named cases, but for the ones that don't have names, I have to use
UTF8 numbers:

    http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/latin1.html#latexta

The case that I needed was "Latin Small Letter Dotless I", which has no
name on the first URL.

The unusual thing is that though our docs web pages use a stated
encoding as ISO-8859-1, the UTF8 number does generate the proper symbol
in my browser (Mozilla), so I wonder if >255 codes are assumed to be
UTF8.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us