Re: Release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> I couldn't remember if you wanted grammar/spelling nitpicks, so I
> included them... sorry for the noise if you didn't want them.
>
> #Improve performance of statistics monitoring, especially
> pg_stat_activity (Tom)#
>
> I would s/pg_stat_activity/stats_command_string/, since that's where the
> actual change was. Can probably get combined with "Default
> stats_command_string to 'on'" as well.
>
> "Add system view pg_prepared_statements to show prepared statements
> (Joachim Wieland)
> Add system view pg_cursors to show open cursors (Joachim Wieland)

Good.

> Both this and pg_prepared_statements are very useful for pooled
> connection setups."
>
> Should read "Both of these are very useful..."

I don't think I can't change that because they are two separate bullet
items.

> "The old behavior is still available by omitting '.'. The new behavior is
> substantially more useful since it allows, for example, triggers to
> check for data changes with 'if row(new.) is distinct from row(old.*)'."
>
> This isn't really clear... are you saying you can do if row(new*)? Also,
> is the lack of * in the new example intentional?

Yea, it was confusing. Updated:

Yes, it was confusing.  I reordered it to be:
       The new behavior is substantially more useful since it allows,for example, triggers to check for data changes
with<literal>IFrow(new.*) IS DISTINCT FROM row(old.*)</>.  The old behavior is still available by omitting
<literal>.*</>.

I made all the other changes you listed below.  If anyone has other
improvements, please let me know.