Re: Interesting CREATE TABLE AS misbehavior - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Interesting CREATE TABLE AS misbehavior
Date
Re: Interesting CREATE TABLE AS misbehavior  ("Jim C. Nasby" <jimn@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> The reason for this behavior is that analyze.c attaches the CREATE TABLE
> AS aliases to the targetlist (via applyColumnNames) before it processes
> the ORDER BY clause.  (So, "order by z2" works instead.)  This seems
> like a bug: one would expect that the aliases do not change the
> semantics of the SELECT part of the command.

I'd tend to agree that it seems like a bug but I'm a little mystified as
to why an 'order by' would be desired (or allowed) for a 'create table as'
at all.  Allowing it seems to imply it has some meaning.

Just my 2c,
Stephen