Re: Release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > How is maintaining another file on every commit going to go over?
>
> If memory serves, we tried this before --- back in the 7.4 devel cycle,
> people were supposed to add small entries to release.sgml every time
> they committed something worth mentioning in the release notes.  This
> was not done anywhere near consistently enough to be useful, however,
> and so we gave it up.  ISTR that we had patch-merging problems too,
> because any patch submitters who took it seriously were trying to patch
> the same chunk of release.sgml.
>
> I tend to agree with Bruce that it's more efficient to go through the
> CVS logs once than to try to do the work incrementally.  We should
> encourage people to write commit messages that are sufficient for the
> release notes, but folding the text into release.sgml immediately
> doesn't seem all that important.

Another complexity is that when you are going through the logs in 1-3
days, you remember all the information and can adjust things so they are
consistent.  I have certain rules of determining what items are worthy,
what are not, and what have to be merged into a single entry.  Having
individuals do that is harder.