Re: Release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Release notes
Date
Re: Release notes  (Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> How is maintaining another file on every commit going to go over?

If memory serves, we tried this before --- back in the 7.4 devel cycle,
people were supposed to add small entries to release.sgml every time
they committed something worth mentioning in the release notes.  This
was not done anywhere near consistently enough to be useful, however,
and so we gave it up.  ISTR that we had patch-merging problems too,
because any patch submitters who took it seriously were trying to patch
the same chunk of release.sgml.

I tend to agree with Bruce that it's more efficient to go through the
CVS logs once than to try to do the work incrementally.  We should
encourage people to write commit messages that are sufficient for the
release notes, but folding the text into release.sgml immediately
doesn't seem all that important.