Re: database files are incompatible with server, after computer restart - Mailing list pgsql-general

From CSN
Subject Re: database files are incompatible with server, after computer restart
Date
List pgsql-general
--- Douglas McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org> wrote:

> CSN <cool_screen_name90001@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > I don't know which to run now! I tried both
> > '/opt/local/lib/pgsql8/bin/pg_ctl start -D pgdata'
> and
>
> You might want an absolute path for 'pgdata'
> here--have you tried
> that?

~ $ /opt/local/lib/pgsql8/bin/pg_ctl start -D
/Users/csn/pgdata/
postmaster starting
~ $ FATAL:  database files are incompatible with
server
DETAIL:  The database cluster was initialized without
HAVE_INT64_TIMESTAMP but the server was compiled with
HAVE_INT64_TIMESTAMP.
HINT:  It looks like you need to recompile or initdb.

> > putting /opt/local/lib/pgsql8/bin before
> > /usr/local/bin in PATH and still get the same
> error.
>
> Why don't you run both pg_ctl binaries with the
> --version option, then
> compare against the pg_control file in the data
> directory (I think
> that's what it's called).  That should hopeully tell
> you which one to run

~ $ /usr/local/bin/pg_ctl --version
pg_ctl (PostgreSQL) 8.1.3

~ $ /opt/local/lib/pgsql8/bin/pg_ctl --version
pg_ctl (PostgreSQL) 8.1.3

pgdata/global/pg_control seems to be binary.
pgdata/PG_VERSION has 8.1 in it.

> > Is there some way to specify HAVE_INT64_TIMESTAMP
> > pg_ctl or just export what's in the existing
> pgdata
> > and initdb a new dir and import?
>
> You need to have the server running to export.  :)
>
> I'm pretty sure you can get it running; you just
> haven't tried the
> right way yet.

I'm stymied. ;)

Thanks,