Re: lastval exposes information that currval does not - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: lastval exposes information that currval does not
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Phil Frost wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 06:36:30PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > I'm sure some people agree that there is a problem.  It would help,
> > however, if you were not talking about two different things at once.
> > And it would help if you actually proposed a change that would improve
> > matters.
>
> What two things are there? I think I've already proposed a solution: do
> the schema usage check at the same time as all the other permission
> checks. Alternately, document the behavior accurately. I've proposed
> text here too, but the revisions keep missing the point. What needs
> clarification?

What we should really do is have lastval() fail if the user does not
have appropiate permissions on the schema.  Having it not fail is a bug,
and documenting a bug turns it not into a feature, but into a "gotcha".