Re: Data Entry and Query forms - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From
Subject Re: Data Entry and Query forms
Date
List pgsql-sql
> Hi
>   I am new in PostgreSQL, I have just installed and
> created a database, I use MS-SQL 2000 and planning
> to  Migrate to Open Source.
>
>   PostgreSQL  is installed  on Linux Redhat Server.
> We have 50 Clients PC using WinXP.
>
>   Before continuing our Plans, I need to know how
> can I do with PostgreSQL in order to have Data Entry
> and Query Forms on clients side (How can I design
> Data Entry and Query Forms).
>
>   If you can advice me the open source Software to
> add on PostgreSQL to solve my problem will be
> better.
>
>   This will help the Management to accept PostgreSQL
> and plan Migration from
>   MS-SQL 2000.
>
>   Thanx
>
>   Anthony Kinyage

Anthony, welcome to the world of open source!

you can continue to use windows programs (like
msaccess) as your front end by connecting with odbc.

however, i chose to use php (open source, too), html
and css.  it has worked out well.

i use two php classes that have pretty dramatically
increased my productivity.

1. Manuel Lemos' forms class (phpclasses.org) - this
is a powerful class that enables lots of useful forms
features.
2. adodb db abstraction layer

php is relatively easy to pick up if someone has a
desire to do so.  i could even send you sample scripts
to help guide you get started with adodb, the forms
class and the code layout structure.

i'm seriously looking into migrating my skills over to
ruby on rails.  you can review some screencasts here:

http://www.rubyonrails.org/screencasts

i'll be using postgresql as my db for any rails
projects, too (many people use mysql).  once one
becomes proficient in ruby (language) and rails
(framework), development becomes more efficient for
many apps.  many of the concepts (including object
oriented programming) are more complex and require
more up front planning - which may be more difficult
for someone new to OO programming.

so, i think php and ruby on rails would both likely
work as front end programming languages / frameworks.
of course, you'd need to work in html and css to
display a layout.  cross browser css code is
difficult, but if you were interested, i will let you
know about a resource that will help you a lot.

good luck.