Re: Preventing DELETE and UPDATE without a WHERE clause? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mark@mark.mielke.cc
Subject Re: Preventing DELETE and UPDATE without a WHERE clause?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 10:35:19PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Chris Campbell <chris@bignerdranch.com> writes:
> > I heard an interesting feature request today: preventing the
> > execution of a DELETE or UPDATE query that does not have a WHERE clause.
> These syntaxes are required by the SQL spec.  Furthermore, it's easy
> to imagine far-more-probable cases in which the system wouldn't detect
> that you'd made a mistake, eg
>     DELETE FROM tab WHERE key > 1
> where you meant to type
>     DELETE FROM tab WHERE key > 10000000
> I suggest counseling your client to learn how to use BEGIN/ROLLBACK.
> This proposal strikes me as falling squarely within the rule about
> "design a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want
> to use it".

What about a mode that would activate after 2am, and before 6am, that
would prevent any delete or update operation that affects more than 50%
of the rows? :-)

Hehe.

Only half serious... :-)

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________
 One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all                      and in the darkness
bindthem...

                          http://mark.mielke.cc/