Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Volkan YAZICI
Subject Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump
Date
Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump  (PFC <lists@peufeu.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Jun 13 10:20, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Good point.  The number of CSV options would be hard to support for
> pg_dump.  Any thoughts from anyone on how to do that cleanly?  Could we
> just support the default behavior?

IMHO, it might be better if we'd support a syntax like
 pg_dump --csv=opt0,para0:opt2,opt3

This can save us from the pg_dump parameter pollution a little bit.

Furthermore, I think CSV format for the dump files can be maintained
better under an external project. (pgFoundry?) By this way, main
developers will be able to cope with their own core problems while
other users/developers can contribute on the CSV code easily. And if
any user will ever want to get CSV functionality in the pg_dump,
he/she will just issue a --csv parameter (with the above syntax) and
pg_dump will make a suitable dlopen() call for the related (CSV)
module. Anyway, this is just an idea for modularity; but the main
thing I try to underline is to give pg_dump a module functionality for
similar problems.

Regards.