Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>there are half a dozen more sub-options, and it seems like every time we
>turn around someone is finding a reason for another one.

This is a bit unfair. The feature was introduced in 8.0, and slightly
enhanced in 8.1. There have not been any additional CSV features this
release cycle unless my memory is worse than I thought, and I at least
have said previously that I will be resistant to the addition of further
CSV options.

My thoughts regarding options for pg_dump was actually to provide a much
smaller set than the full set available with COPY, specifically to
provide for using a single rather than a double quote char, and optional
header lines - no alternate escape or delimiter, and no FORCE QUOTE
(FORCE NOT NULL isn't relevant as it is only useful for non-postgres
derived data). At least that would be a reasonable starting point, and
would I believe cater for the vast majority of uses.

cheers

andrew