Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(), pg_get_attrdef(), - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(), pg_get_attrdef(),
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 07:33:54PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> writes:
> > > O.k. so now what I am getting from this thread is, the functions exist
> > > now in pg_dump but we want to pull them out of pg_dump and push them
> > > into the backend?
> >
> > That's exactly what I *don't* want to do.  If you can think of a
> > use-case for these functions outside of pg_dump, feel free to put them
> > in the backend, but pg_dump should continue to do things as it does now.
>
> Oh, OK, I guess.  pg_dump already uses some of those functions so I
> figured it should use more, but you work in that area more than I do.

Well, the argument against changing pg_dump is that it would impact the
ability to use the newer version of pg_dump with older backends (which
would be lacking these functions).

ISTM what would be best is to add the functions to the backend, and add
a TODO or comments to pg_dump indicating that it should be changed to
use these functions once 8.1 is no longer supported. Or you could make
pg_dump's use of this code dependent on the server version it connected
to.