Latest timezone data in 8.1.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Paul Lindner
Subject Latest timezone data in 8.1.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

At work, our production 8.1.x systems were having problems with
timezones.  A new code push had newer 2006 time zones that Postgres
didn't recognize.

To fix this I built a custom RPM that overwrites the timezone data
with the latest data from nih.gov.

I changed the postgres-8.1.4-1PDG.spec file as follows:
 * Add the following line to the end of the Source file section:
   Source99: ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzdata2006g.tar.gz
 * Add the following commands to the end of the %prep section
   cd src/timezone/data   tar xzvf %{SOURCE99}

Some questions...
* Is this the correct way to do this?  * Can updating the timezone data be a part of the release checklist?* Finally,
isit possible to upgrade a running server with new timezone  data?

--
Paul Lindner        ||||| | | | |  |  |  |   |   |
lindner@inuus.com