Re: plpython improvements - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: plpython improvements
Date
List pgsql-patches
Sven Suursoho wrote:
> Sat, 06 May 2006 20:38:48 +0300, Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>:
>
> > I still do not know why we can't do some kind of runtime test in python
> > and disable this feature for 2.4 builds that have debugging enabled.
> > Can we do a dynamic function load test from plpython?  There must be
> > some function that is only visible in debug builds.
>
> Yes, I already did research last week after discussions about that. In
> unmodified Python distribution, in configure:
> if --with-pydebug
>    define Py_DEBUG
>    undef NDEBUG
> else
>    undef Py_DEBUG
>    define NDEBUG
> fi
>
> Unfortunately, this is not case for Fedora Core 4, where assertions are
> used unconditionally. And to make things worse, there is no runtime symbol
> at all to indicate whether Python is compiled with debugging/assertions
> enabled (Py_DEBUG & NDEBUG are preprocessor symbols)

Can you test dynamically loading a function that is only visible in the
symbol table of debug builds, and check the return code?

In the Fedora Core 4 case, how did they make assertions always enabled?
I see the fix:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-checkins/2005-August/046571.html

How did Fedora Core 4 enable asserts?  I see the patch calling libc's
assert() directly, which should be enabled all the time.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us