Re: Google SoC--Idea Request - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Google SoC--Idea Request
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I hope I'm not too late.

Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 4/19/06, John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com> wrote:
> > Alvaro indicated he would be willing to provide direction on this
> > with testing support from me. He also said there are several other
> > possible PL/PHP issues that would warrant a SoC project.
>
> Cool... let's get 'em all listed here so we can move forward.

The following is all PL/php related, in no particular order:

1. Add support for IN/OUT parameters, and named parameters.  This should
be easy to do, the majority of needed infraestructure in PL/php is there
already.  It only needs a bit more love.

2. Clean up memory usage.  Both compilation and execution of a function
should happen on separate, maybe temporary, memory contexts; and provide
adequate cleanup for both (for example when a function is recompiled).

3. Enable it to build separate from the Apache SAPI.

4. Allow huge resultsets to be processed by providing an option to
transparently use a cursor to fetch results partially, when spi_exec()
is called.

5. Clean up the plphp_proc_desc struct.  This involves making sure we
store all the info we need to know about a function; no more, no less.
(I think currently we store things we don't need, and we don't store
some things it would be useful to know).

I don't think any of these would warrant a SoC by itself.  Maybe the
whole bunch could, however.