Re: Please advice TODO Item pg_hba.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Please advice TODO Item pg_hba.conf
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 11:40:08PM +0200, Gevik Babakhani wrote:
> > Also I'm not sure if we have discussed what's the default (initial)
> > privilege state.  Do we want PUBLIC to have CONNECT privilege?
>
> If I where a DBA I would rather explicitly give people connect
> permission to my database rather than having to explicitly block them
> from connecting to the database. It is like all the doors are closed to
> the public unless the doorman opens the door for the person he knows.
> But then again this is my personal opinion. We can always discuss this
> of course.

Backward compatability. The code has to end up working exactly as the
system behaves now (i.e. pg_hba.conf controls everything). Maybe a
release or two down the track we can change the default, but right now
you can't.

Have a nice day,