Re: Decide between Postgresql and Mysql (help of - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Decide between Postgresql and Mysql (help of
Date
List pgsql-performance
Heh, too quick on the send button...

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 09:42:51PM +0200, PFC wrote:
>     I'll only speak about MyISAM. MySQL == MyISAM. InnoDB is useless :
>     if you  want transactions, use postgres.
>     If you say to yourself "oh yeah, but it would be cool to use a
>     MyISAM  table for stuff like hit counters etc"... Is it the job of a SQL
> database  to count hits on the root page of your site ? No. To store user
> sessions ?  No. The job of a SQL database is to efficiently handle data,
> not to do  something that should stay in RAM in the application server
> process, or at  worst, in a memcached record.

Actually, it's entirely possible to do stuff like web counters, you just
want to do it differently in PostgreSQL. Simply insert into a table
every time you have a hit, and then roll that data up periodically.

And using MyISAM is no panacea, either. Trying to keep a web counter in
a MyISAM table means you'll serialize every web page on that counter
update.