Re: Migration study, step 1: bulk write performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Migration study, step 1: bulk write performance
Date
Re: Migration study, step 1: bulk write performance  (Michael Stone <mstone+postgres@mathom.us>)
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:56:18PM +0100, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:52:46PM +0100, Csaba Nagy wrote:
> > They knew however that for the data partitions no FS journaling is
> > needed, and for the WAL partition meta data journaling is enough, so I
> > guess they tuned ext3 for this.
>
> For the record, that's the wrong way round. For the data partitioning
> metadata journaling is enough, and for the WAL partition you don't need any
> FS journaling at all.

Are you sure? Metadate changes are probably a lot more common on the WAL
partition. In any case, I don't see why there should be a difference.
The real issue is: is related filesystem metadata sync'd as part of a
file being fsync'd?