Re: ERROR: Cannot determine geometry type (empty table). - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: ERROR: Cannot determine geometry type (empty table).
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 01:48:54PM -0600, Sunanda Kumaraguru wrote:
> Iam trying to use the postgis dumper.I get the follwing error.
>
> ERROR: Cannot determine geometry type (empty table).

What exactly did you do to get this error?  Are you trying to use
pgsql2shp?  After loading your data it worked fine for me:

% pgsql2shp postgis feb3
Initializing... Done (postgis major version: 1).
Output shape: Polygon
Dumping: XX [3 rows].
% ls -l
total 10
-rw-------  1 mfuhr  mfuhr   223 Feb 23 14:49 feb3.dbf
-rw-------  1 mfuhr  mfuhr  5612 Feb 23 14:49 feb3.shp
-rw-------  1 mfuhr  mfuhr   124 Feb 23 14:49 feb3.shx

However, if I empty the table then I get the same error you got:

% psql -d postgis -c 'delete from feb3'
DELETE 3
% pgsql2shp postgis feb3
Initializing... ERROR: Cannot determine geometry type (empty table).

I'd guess you're trying to dump an empty table.  If that doesn't
help then try asking on the postgis-users mailing list.