Re: Mixing different LC_COLLATE and database encodings - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moseley
Subject Re: Mixing different LC_COLLATE and database encodings
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 05:20:19PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > 2) What client encoding is used if the client does not specify one?
>
> the server encoding

What's the server encoding?  The environment when the cluster is
started?  How do you find out what it's running as?

Does that mean if the encoding is anything other than "C" then
Postgresql will convert?  That is, if my database is utf8 and the
server is en_US then text will be sent to the client as 8859-1?  Not,
that's not correct as I'm not seeing that.  So I guess I'm not clear
on that point.

> > 5) I suppose there's not way to answer this, short of running
> > benchmarks, but any ideas what using a lc_collate with utf-8 would do
> > to performance?  Is it a big hit?
>
> I don't know why that would be a problem.

Just that sorting utf8 is a bit more work that sorting raw bytes.

Thanks for the help,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org