Re: Domains - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Domains
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Peter wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am migrating to postgresql from another database. I want to take
> advantage of using domains. Let's suppose I create domain
> 'email'(varchar 128). Then I change my mind and want to increase all
> columnst that have type 'emaill' to varchar(255). How do I change the
> domain 'email' to the new datatype. I can not figure how to do it with
> "alter domain" syntax.

It doesn't look like alter domain currenly has type changing support, so I
don't think you can do this (in general) right now.  Some conversions
might be possible with direct alterations to system tables, but that's a
bit dangerous.  I don't know if anyone's working on this right now either,
but it sounds reasonable (now that we have table column type changing).