Re: Using EXPLAIN-ANALYZE - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Using EXPLAIN-ANALYZE
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 01:08:40PM -0800, Kashmira Patel (kupatel) wrote:
> So I would have to put in lots of rows of data in the table before using
> the explain command?

Well, no, but you won't get useful information without it.
PostgreSQL has a cost-based optimizer.  The query plan is affected
by the nature of your data.  That's what the ANALYZE command (on its
own, or with VACUUM) is for.

The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.    --Philip Greenspun