Re: Using EXPLAIN-ANALYZE - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Kashmira Patel \(kupatel\)
Subject Re: Using EXPLAIN-ANALYZE
Date
List pgsql-sql
So I would have to put in lots of rows of data in the table before using
the explain command?

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Sullivan
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 12:39 PM
To: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Using EXPLAIN-ANALYZE

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 12:07:10PM -0800, Kashmira Patel (kupatel)
wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I am pretty new to using Postrgres, and have been looking at the
> messages in this forum for a while. I have noticed that the use of
> EXPLAIN-ANALYZE is recommended quite a lot. I read the Postgres docs,
> but am not quite sure I understand how this works. Is there some
> tutorial or any other documentation how this can be used?

Well, here's the short version:

EXPLAIN [query] tells you what the planner _thinks_ it should do.

EXPLAIN ANALYZE [query] tells you what the planner thinks it should do,
and also executes the query and reports back how long every step took,
how many rows were returned, &c.  (For this reason, you want to wrap it
in BEGIN;...;ROLLBACK; if it changes data.)

For more, see the EXPLAIN EXPLAINED tutorial on techdocs.postgresql.org
(<http://techdocs.postgresql.org/oscon2005/robert.treat/OSCON_Explaining
_Explain_Public.sxi>)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.                --Brad Holland

TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate      subscribe-nomail command to