Re: C Language Stored Procedure Returning No Data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: C Language Stored Procedure Returning No Data
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 12:56:30PM -0500, bfraci@aol.com wrote:
> From a C stored procedure, how can I tell Postgres to pass on to
> the Java client that there is No Data? A zero length byte array or
> a null value is not the same as No Data.

If you declare the function with "RETURNS bytea" then the function
must return something; if zero-length data and NULL aren't suitable
for indicating no data then you could raise an error and catch that
error in the client.  Another possibility would be to make the
function set-returning ("RETURNS SETOF bytea" and some code changes)
and return no rows to indicate no data.

--
Michael Fuhr