Re: [HACKERS] Inconsistent syntax in GRANT - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Inconsistent syntax in GRANT
Date
List pgsql-patches
Marko Kreen wrote:
> On 1/6/06, Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> > Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > > It might be nice to split nextval and currval access as well. nextval access
> > > corresponds to INSERT and currval access to SELECT.
> >
> > Uh, that is already in the code.  nextval()/setval() is UPDATE, and
> > currval() is SELECT.
>
> This seems weird.  Shouldn't nextval/currval go together and setval
> separately?

Uh, logically, yes, but practially currval just reads/SELECTs, while
nextval modifies/UPDATEs.

> Considering there's no currval() without nextval(), what point
> is disallowing currval() when user is able to call nextval()?

Not sure.  I think SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION would make it possible.

> I rather want to allow nextval/currval and disable setval as it
> allows regular user to DoS the database.

Oh, interesting.  We could easily have INSERT control that if we wanted,
but I think you have to make a clear use case to override the risk of
breaking applications.