Re: Best way to manage users - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Kevin Crenshaw
Subject Re: Best way to manage users
Date
List pgsql-novice
Thank you all for your input.  You have been very helpful.

The point regarding sensitive information is a good one.  I plan to use the
cryptographic classes included with VB.Net to encrypt sensitive information
before it is stored in the database.  I don't know if php offers the same
functionality.

-----Original Message-----
From: operationsengineer1@yahoo.com [mailto:operationsengineer1@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 2:05 PM
To: Kevin Crenshaw; brew@theMode.com; pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Best way to manage users

--- Kevin Crenshaw <kcrenshaw@viscient.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the replies.  I appreciate the advice.
> However, I think that a
> better way to pose my question is to ask - what are
> the pros and cons of
> using Postgres to handle user authentication for my
> web app?
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

on a side note, remember to encrypt confidential
information (eg, passwords) as opposed to storing the
information in human readable format.  some pretty
high profile companies have been "lost" hardware with
unencrypted data...  like names and social security
numbers...

i use php and i need a user authentication system.
i've been stuck on this for a while, but i haven't
gone at it 100% either.

i'm going to use php to code the authentication logic
and will draw on data from pgsql.

Yahoo! DSL - Something to write home about.
Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com