Re: Best way to manage users - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Kevin Crenshaw
Subject Re: Best way to manage users
Date
Re: Best way to manage users  ("Roland Giesler" <roland@giesler.za.net>)
Re: Best way to manage users  (<operationsengineer1@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-novice
Thanks for the replies.  I appreciate the advice.  However, I think that a
better way to pose my question is to ask - what are the pros and cons of
using Postgres to handle user authentication for my web app?

Thanks,
Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of brew@theMode.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 10:28 AM
To: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Best way to manage users

Kevin.....

> I am talking about web app users.  I would like to store contact
> information as well as billing related info like billing address and
> payment history and status.

If it's a web app the postgresql user will be only the web server.

That's separate from your web app users, you can set them up any way you
choose.  Probably you'd use a table (perhaps called users) in your
database with a unique id (maybe user_id).  Additional info (email_adr,
username, password, zip code, whatever) might be in other columns in that
table.

When those users get involved in data in other tables you'll use the
user_id as the foreign key to reference which user it is.

Sometimes novice posters have the postgresql user mixed up with the
website users.

Of course, they *might* be one and the same, in some cases, but *usually*
not in a web app.

What I did the first time I set up postgreSQL and a web app was read a lot
and set up a simple postgreSQL web app from a tutorial and play with it to
see how it worked.

What works for me is to learn by doing because I make mistakes, then learn
from them. (hopefully!)

brew

                  Strange Brew   (brew@theMode.com)
  Check out my Stock Option Covered Call website  http://www.callpix.com