PostgreSQL and Ultrasparc T1 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Juan Casero
Subject PostgreSQL and Ultrasparc T1
Date
Re: PostgreSQL and Ultrasparc T1  ("Luke Lonergan" <llonergan@greenplum.com>)
Re: PostgreSQL and Ultrasparc T1  ("Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Hi -

Can anyone tell me how well PostgreSQL 8.x performs on the new Sun Ultrasparc
T1 processor and architecture on Solaris 10?   I have a custom built retail
sales reporting that I developed using PostgreSQL 7.48 and PHP on a Fedora
Core 3 intel box.  I want to scale this application upwards to handle a
database that might grow to a 100 GB.  Our company is green mission conscious
now so I was hoping I could use that to convince management to consider a Sun
Ultrasparc T1 or T2 system provided that if I can get the best performance
out of it on PostgreSQL.  So will newer versions of PostgreSQL (8.1.x) be
able to take of advantage of the multiple cores on a T1 or T2?    I cannot
change the database and this will be a hard sell unless I can convince them
that the performance advantages are too good to pass up.   The company is
moving in the Win32 direction and so I have to provide rock solid reasons for
why I want to use Solaris Sparc on a T1 or T2 server for this database
application instead of Windows on SQL Server.

Thanks,
Juan