Re: PostgreSQL and Ultrasparc T1 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: PostgreSQL and Ultrasparc T1
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:35:15AM -0500, Juan Casero wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how well PostgreSQL 8.x performs on the new Sun Ultrasparc
> T1 processor and architecture on Solaris 10?   I have a custom built retail
> sales reporting that I developed using PostgreSQL 7.48 and PHP on a Fedora

People have seen some pretty big gains going from 7.4 to 8.1. I recently
migrated http://stats.distributed.net and the daily processing
(basically OLAP) times were cut in half.

As someone else mentioned, IO is probably going to be your biggest
consideration, unless you have a lot of queries running at once.
Probably your best bang for the buck will be from an Opteron-based
server with a good number of internal drives.