Re: Integration Requirements - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Integration Requirements
Date
List pgsql-www
Dave,

The below go far beyond "integration requirements" and stray into the area of
dictating exactly how new web code should be built.  If you do that, you
won't get any contributors.  Would you write WWW code on your own time if
someone told you exactly what programming structures to use?

Integration requirements would be something like:
-- Needs to be able to run on FreeBSD
-- Must use the postgresql.org CSS, which is documented in __________ (note
Magnus' comment on the lack of CSS documentation).
-- Can't have processor/ram requirements beyond ______________ unless a server
is going to be donated,
-- Must be in one of the following programming languages: PHP, Perl, Ruby ...
if in something other than PHP or Perl must be part of a long-term commitment
for code maintenance.
etc.

> - Moving data; originally we'd looked at exporting from the cms into the
> filesystem, and having script that did a cvs add/remove/commit over the
> entire tree, into the main web CVS. This is still preferrable from an 'ease
> of rebuilding' point of view, but might be easier just to rsync the content
> from the filesystem of the cms machine to wwwmaster.

This isn't really practical for a KB or many other components, which need to
be highly dynamic, not a bunch of static pages.

> - Navigation; Gevik was working on a tree-style thingy in PHP. Perhaps the
> CMS could export an XML file describing the navigation tree, which the PHP
> handler on the main website could use to generate it's treeview in dynamic
> mode. By accepting some sort of pointer to the currently selected node as a
> GET value, we should be able to make the tree fully mirrorable.

This is functional specification based on a lot of assumptions about the shape
of the final interface, and I can't imagine it even being applicable to
something I, personally, would build.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions