Re: PostgresSQL Halting System Boot - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: PostgresSQL Halting System Boot
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 12:38:16PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Matias Silva <matiassilva@gmail.com> writes:
> > I just got done installing PostgreSQL 8.1.  I have configured PostgreSQL
> > to start automatically upon system start via an init script.  Problem
> > is that when CentOS boots it halts on "Starting PostgeSQL".  I have
> > to press the <Enter> key to resume the boot.  It doesn't time out either.
>
> > I notice the init script switches user.
>
> >    start)
> >          $ECHO_N "Starting PostgreSQL: "$ECHO_C
> >          su - $PGUSER -c "$DAEMON -D '$PGDATA' &" >>$PGLOG 2>&1
> >          echo "ok"
> >          ;;
>
> Hm, where did this init script come from?  Last I heard, CentOS was a
> direct ripoff^H^H^H^H^H^Hrepackaging of Red Hat, but the RH initscript
> for Postgres doesn't look like that.

That is the init script distributed with postgresql -
contrib/start-scripts/linux.

That's the one I use in production and it works just fine.

> In any case, the Postgres community isn't in a position to support other
> vendors' repackagings of Postgres.  I suggest trying the initscript from
> the PGDG RPMs (if not the entire RPM package...) --- that one we can at
> least answer questions about.

The original error smelled like an SELinux issue, rather than anything
to do with the startup scripts, but I'm not that familiar with SELinux
(I turn it off as part of the installation) so I can't say for sure.

Cheers,
  Steve