Re: PostgresSQL Halting System Boot - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgresSQL Halting System Boot
Date
List pgsql-general
Matias Silva <matiassilva@gmail.com> writes:
> I just got done installing PostgreSQL 8.1.  I have configured PostgreSQL
> to start automatically upon system start via an init script.  Problem
> is that when CentOS boots it halts on "Starting PostgeSQL".  I have
> to press the <Enter> key to resume the boot.  It doesn't time out either.

> I notice the init script switches user.

>    start)
>          $ECHO_N "Starting PostgreSQL: "$ECHO_C
>          su - $PGUSER -c "$DAEMON -D '$PGDATA' &" >>$PGLOG 2>&1
>          echo "ok"
>          ;;

Hm, where did this init script come from?  Last I heard, CentOS was a
direct ripoff^H^H^H^H^H^Hrepackaging of Red Hat, but the RH initscript
for Postgres doesn't look like that.

In any case, the Postgres community isn't in a position to support other
vendors' repackagings of Postgres.  I suggest trying the initscript from
the PGDG RPMs (if not the entire RPM package...) --- that one we can at
least answer questions about.

            regards, tom lane