Re: Group By? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Group By?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 21:53:10 -0800,
  Bob Pawley <rjpawley@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Here's what I want to do.
>
> Table control contains values (mon and valves) that are associated by
> numbers inserted into the associated column.
>
> I want to transfer the serial _id number of the items associated by the
> value '1' into the appropriate columns of the first row of the table
> auto_control. All items associated with the value '2' into the second row -
> etc. etc.

You don't really want to do that. Tables have fixed numbers of columns and
what you want to do doesn't result in a fixed number of columns.

If you want to generate a report with that format, then I think there is
a contrib module (crosstabs?) that will do this kind of thing. You could
also have a report app do it for you. In the report app method, you would
be best to return rows ordered by association and then device_ID and have the
app check for when the association value changes.