Re: MERGE vs REPLACE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: MERGE vs REPLACE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 01:27:29PM +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >We should probably throw a notice or warning if we go to a table lock,
> >too.
>
> That's not very useful, because you can only do somethign about it AFTER
> the 1 hour exclusive lock merge has already run :)

Not true; it would be useful for development when you'd like to know
that some statement is grabbing a table lock. This is something that you
wouldn't normally notice in a dev environment, and it sounds like it'd
be easy to do a merge that has the unintended effect of grabbing a table
lock.