Re: PG_DUMP and table locking in PG7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: PG_DUMP and table locking in PG7.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Yann Michel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 03:22:23AM +0100, Yann Michel wrote:
> >
> > I'm using PG_DUMP for backing up a postgres 7.4 database. As I have
> > seen, the pg_dump aquires a table lock while dump the table's content.
> > What will happen, if I have a basic table and several inherited tables.
> > Will the PG_DUMP tool only aquire locks on the inherited tables or on
> > the parent-table, too?
>
> Is anyone out there who could answer this question or even give me a
> hint about where to read about this if there is any writen things about
> that?

You could find out exactly which commands it sends by setting
log_statement=all in a test environment and then dumping things to your
heart's content.  Looking at that output you should be able to easily
determine which tables are locked.