Re: PG_DUMP and table locking in PG7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Yann Michel
Subject Re: PG_DUMP and table locking in PG7.4
Date
Re: PG_DUMP and table locking in PG7.4  (Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi all,

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 03:22:23AM +0100, Yann Michel wrote:

> I'm using PG_DUMP for backing up a postgres 7.4 database. As I have
> seen, the pg_dump aquires a table lock while dump the table's content.
> What will happen, if I have a basic table and several inherited tables.
> Will the PG_DUMP tool only aquire locks on the inherited tables or on
> the parent-table, too?

Is anyone out there who could answer this question or even give me a
hint about where to read about this if there is any writen things about
that?

Thanks!

Yann