Re: Running PostGre on DVD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Joseph Krogh
Subject Re: Running PostGre on DVD
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 15 November 2005 03:37 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
> >> To be honest, the fact that Postgres forces you to run as a
> >> non-admin user has given me nothing but headaches.  (yes, I
> >> know, the problem is defaulting everyone to admin rights is
> >> the problem.  But that's where I am).  I have been kicking
> >> around the idea of posting a change to allow you to run as
> >> admin,
> >
> > This has been proposed before, and always rejected. While you're always
> > welcome to provide a patch, I'm very doubtful it would be accepted into
> > the main product.
>
> The example given in this thread certainly isn't going to change
> anybody's mind.  "Hi, I propose reducing everybody's security because
> my local admins insist on an utterly brain-dead security policy."

Tom, nobody wants to reduce everybody's security, and nobody is proposing
changes leading to such. I just believe more than me agree that having this
as an option on Windows wouldn't hurt anybody, but would rather make life
simpler for some Windows people. Anyway, I don't use Windows on a regular
basis, so it's not that important to me...

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak@officenet.no>
Senior Software Developer / Manager