Re: Module incompatibility detection between 8.0 and 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Module incompatibility detection between 8.0 and 8.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 11:29:15PM +0100, Olivier Thauvin wrote:
> I just make postgresql 8.1 rpm for mandriva and I was making basic test. I
> made in pgfoundry the module pgrpm (rpm function in postgres).

<snip>

> Well the problem here is the module was build with postgresql 8.0. I will
> rebuild the module ASAP, this is not a problem.
>
> The problem is rpm has no way to detect this kind of issue:

<snip>

> Does anyone allready think to add marker into module, and maybe into postgres
> and giving a way to rpm or other packaging tools to detect broken linkage ?
>
> To fix the issue, I will add a provide into postgresql-server package,
> something like postgresql-ABI = 8.1, add equivalent requires into modules.

There is some discussion about this on -hackers. It'll probably happen
at some stage but the actual method is not clear yet.

In the meantime, modules can only work with a single release. I'm
actually not sure about the policy for minor releases.

Have a nice day,