Module incompatibility detection between 8.0 and 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Olivier Thauvin
Subject Module incompatibility detection between 8.0 and 8.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I just make postgresql 8.1 rpm for mandriva and I was making basic test. I
made in pgfoundry the module pgrpm (rpm function in postgres).

However after installing postgresql 8.1 I have:

ERREUR:  unable to load library
«/usr/lib64/pgsql/pgrpm.so»: /usr/lib64/pgsql/pgrpm.so: undefined symbol:
MemoryContextSwitchTo

Well the problem here is the module was build with postgresql 8.0. I will
rebuild the module ASAP, this is not a problem.

The problem is rpm has no way to detect this kind of issue:

$ rpm -q --requires pgrpm
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
libc.so.6()(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)(64bit)
librpm-4.4.so()(64bit)

Does anyone allready think to add marker into module, and maybe into postgres
and giving a way to rpm or other packaging tools to detect broken linkage ?

To fix the issue, I will add a provide into postgresql-server package,
something like postgresql-ABI = 8.1, add equivalent requires into modules.