Re: How to speed up the database query? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andreas Kretschmer
Subject Re: How to speed up the database query?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Abdul Wahab Dahalan <wahab@mimos.my> schrieb:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm looking for solution to speed up the database query, means that to
> get resultset as quicker as we can.

09:41 < akretschmer> ??tuning
09:41 < rtfm_please> For information about tuning
09:41 < rtfm_please> see http://www.powerpostgresql.com
09:41 < rtfm_please> or http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList
09:41 < rtfm_please> or http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/116.php

> For example if I've 700 records in the table it will take longer time
> compared if I've only 20 records. How do we speed up the query?. Any
> query technique that can be applied?.

Read the links above. You should use Indexe for searching. And you
should use 'explain select ...' to see how the planer works.

09:43 < akretschmer> ??explain
09:43 < rtfm_please> For information about explain
09:43 < rtfm_please> see http://techdocs.postgresql.org/oscon2005/robert.treat/OSCON_Explaining_Explain_Public.sxi
09:43 < rtfm_please> or http://www.gtsm.com/oscon2003/toc.html
09:43 < rtfm_please> or http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-explain.html

Regards, Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)