Re: query tables based on a query - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: query tables based on a query
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 18:47:48 -0400, solarsail <solarsail@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a large number of tables with a common naming convention
>
> basically:
>
> table001, table002, table003 ... table00n
>

> I would like to do a query across all of the tables, however I do not know
> all of the tables before hand, and I do not want to manually generate a
> query like
>
> select * from table001, table002, table003
>

> I have a query that returns the names of the tables I want to query, it is
> basically like this:
>
> select tablename from pg_tables where tablename like 'table%'
>

> How do I do this? I've tried creating a Table Function that returns the
> above set and tried to use that in a select clause, but I cant get it to
> work either.

The simplest way to do this is to have the application use the results of the
above query to write a query using UNION ALL that selects from each of the
tables.

Also, unless you have a good reason to partition your data, you may want to
consider a design where all of this data is in one table.