Re: Design problem : using the same primary keys for inherited objects. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From David Pradier
Subject Re: Design problem : using the same primary keys for inherited objects.
Date
Re: Design problem : using the same primary keys for inherited objects.  ("Russell Simpkins" <russellsimpkins@hotmail.com>)
List pgsql-sql
> Most of the inheritance i've seen done in databases retain the parent primary as a foreign key and a primary key.
Thatbeing said, only you and your team can decide if more than one object will extend a base class. If you were doing
somethingmore like this

> person -> sweepstakes entry
> to model a sweepsakes entry is a person, and you allow a person to enter a sweepstakes more than once, but to enter a
contestthe user must provide a unique email address, then you could not just use a foreign key as the primary key in
sweepstakes,since the primary key would disallow multiple entries in sweepstakes entry, you would then use a serial
datatype in both person and sweepstakes along with the foriegn key in sweepstakes from person.

> The answer depends on the need. Hope that helps.

Thanks Russ, but well...
It doesn't help me a lot. Our needs seem to allow that we use an id as
primary key and foreign key at the same time.
What i fear more is that it be against a good database design practice,
because leading to potential problems.

I give a clearer example :

CREATE TABLE actor (
id_actor serial PRIMARY KEY,
arg1 type1,
arg2 type2
)

CREATE TABLE person (
id_person INTEGER PRIMARY KEY REFERENCES actor,
arg3 type3,
arg4 type4
)

Don't you think it is a BAD design ?
If it isn't, well, it will expand my database practices.

David

--
David Pradier -- Directeur Technique de Clarisys Informatique -- Chef de projet logiciels libres / open-source