Comments on columns in the pg_catalog tables/views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Comments on columns in the pg_catalog tables/views
Date
Re: Comments on columns in the pg_catalog tables/views
List pgsql-hackers
Folks,

Before I dive into this, is there some reason why the pg_catalog.*
tables/views should not have comments that match the descriptions in
the docs?  I can see where this could cause some maintenance issues,
and those probably need to be addressed, but it sure would be nice if
\d+ pg_depend pulled up something like:
         Table "pg_catalog.pg_depend"  Column    |  Type   | Modifiers | Description
-------------+---------+-----------+-------------classid     | oid     | not null  | The OID of the system catalog the
dependentobject is inobjid       | oid     | not null  | The OID of the specific dependent objectobjsubid    | integer
|not null  |  For a table column, this is the column number (the objid and classid refer to the table itself). For all
otherobject types, this column is zero.refclassid  | oid     | not null  | The OID of the system catalog the referenced
objectis inrefobjid    | oid     | not null  | The OID of the specific referenced objectrefobjsubid | integer | not
null |  For a table column, this is the column number (the refobjid and refclassid refer to the table itself). For all
otherobject types, this column is zero.deptype     | "char"  | not null  |  A code defining the specific semantics of
thisdependency relationship; see text.

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!