Re: UPDATE: pg_dump fails due to invalid memory request - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: UPDATE: pg_dump fails due to invalid memory request
Date
Re: UPDATE: pg_dump fails due to invalid memory request  (Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org>)
List pgsql-novice
[Please don't change the Subject header when continuing the same
thread; it messes up some threaded displays.]

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 08:48:34PM -0700, Morgan Kita wrote:
> >> Now the only thing I can think of is that this particular table has 2
> >> custom data types that are both toastable.
>
> > [ raised eyebrow... ]  Then it could also be a symptom of a garden
> > variety bug in your custom datatype code.  Have you tried getting
> > a stack trace from errfinish() to see exactly where the complaint
> > is being raised?
>
> Bingo it is the custom datatype code. The curious things is this...
> When I do the dump it calls COPY... which balks on an invalid memory
> request. However, when I select the same rows that cause pg_dump
> to crash, I have absolutely no problem. I have checked the output
> from the select statements and the data is identical to what went
> in.

What happens if you use "pg_dump --inserts" or if you issue a COPY
command directly?  Have you done what Tom suggested and tried to
get a strack trace on the backend?

> So obviously something is wrong with my code... but what should
> I do?

Post your data type's output function and we'll take a look.
The CREATE TYPE statement might also be useful.

> Obviously I will need to do more testing and try to debug,
> but isn't it odd that I can select the data but not copy from it?

That seems odd to me; maybe Tom or somebody else who knows PostgreSQL
internals can explain why that might happen.

--
Michael Fuhr