Re: Linux File Systems and Postgres (or dbs in general) - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Linux File Systems and Postgres (or dbs in general)
Date
List pgsql-novice
OE,

> hi all, is there an optimal linux file system choice
> for a system that will be used as a db server?

Well, XFS and JFS offer some advantages.  However, I think support for them
under Linux is still flaky.

For Reiser and Ext3, it's about neck-and-neck; Reiser does marginally better
with lots of small tables, otherwise worse.   In either case, the important
thing is to remember to set the lowest level of journalling
( data=writeback ) otherwise you take a huge performance hit for the
journalling.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions