Re: Debian PostgreSQL Install - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From David
Subject Re: Debian PostgreSQL Install
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 09:40:22AM -0700, operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:
> this weekend will be my (linux newbie) first foray
> into trying to install LAPP Linux/Apache/PHP/PGSQL.
>
> i'm using a pii 400 MHz box, so i decided to check out
> the linux "light" distros.  i decided to go with darn
> small linux (a debian based, 50mb version of linux) as
> my first trial OS.

I'm not familiar with the distro to which you refer, but I'll speak in
reference to what I know about Debian.

It might take a bit more effort, but I'm thinking that you might be
better off to use the "real" debian distro.  I believe you can start
with a ~ 100-Meg CD iso download and install a base system and then
download and install whatever else you want.

(See further details below).

> i want to make sure i have the big picture down...
>
> 1. learn a little about apt-get.
> 2. download PGSQL, Apache and PHP.
> 3. install PGSQL.
> 4. install Apache.
> 5. install PHP.
> 6. make sure everything is configured correctly (this
> might be done during the install procedures, i'll have
> to follow instructions).
>
> i've done a little research and it seems i will have
> to build PGSQL from source.  i haven't found a PGSQL
> 8.03 debian binary yet.  the latest i found was 7.4.7.

8.0.3 _is_ available in the testing, or the unstable branches.  I am
currently running the "stable" branch, in which, as you said, 7.4.7 is
the latest (and anything later will undoubtedly never be available
there).  But I included the "testing" branch in my apt sources.list, and
installed 8.0.3  (it's packaged as "postgresql-8.0" instead of
"postgresql").

Since this is not a Debian list, I'll stop with the Debian details on
that.  If you have any further questions related to apt-get or details
about the Debian system, please feel free to email me privately.  I'm no
guru on the top by any means, but I'll answer as best I can.