Re: Certification Available +Pronounce - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Certification Available +Pronounce
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 05:37:37PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:

> The interesting thing about this conversation is that what this project really
> needs is a way to seed the market with enthusiastic product adoptors.

Well, you want _competent_ enthusiastic product adopters, right?  I
mean, the reason many of the crappy certifications work so well is
because Bob Pointyhair and Marie Cheveuxpointus are setting up their
New Important Services Organisation des Services Importants Nouvaux
(NISOSIN), and they hire a bunch of twerps who have certification.

This is the real problem David was talking about: because we don't
have a whole service arm of the company (we don't have a company!)
that is here to rescue customers who already have incompetent staff,
we don't have a way to convince those potential users that our
software doesn't suck (when they use it wrong).  My boss was just
yesterday telling me of a case he recently heard of in this vein:
some folks he knows couldn't make Postgres work, so they went and
used something else.  They believe you Can't Do That With Postgres,
even though what they really should have concluded is probably one of
Don't Do That or you Can't Do That With Those Staff.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
When my information changes, I alter my conclusions.  What do you do sir?
        --attr. John Maynard Keynes